So, last week on Sunday, we checked out both of our hives, to see how our buzzy sisters are doing. We checked out the 10 frame hive, and found some beautiful brood patterns, a very busy queen and bees working all the levels of the hive. Here’s a picture of our 10 frame queen:
However, the 8 frame hive was less promising. Going through most of the frames, we saw little evidence of brood and/or the queen. Looking through several other frames, we concluded we had a queenless hive. This is a fairly common occurrence, but nobody likes it when their pets are sick, and we were really distraught about our apparent failure.
So, we called Robin, our beekeeping mentor, to see if she had any suggestions. She pointed us to some links for getting new queens, but offered to sell us one of her Nucs (some frames with a laying queen and active brood). We invited her to come over today to take a look and help us install the Nuc into our hive. Not to hold the suspense too long, it turns out we were just not looking well enough, and our six frame hive was definitely growing some baby bees! Sometimes larvae and eggs can just be so small, we must have missed them last week. The eggs ARE really small, and with direct sunlight, glare can really make it hard to find them:
Check out these pictures of Robin helping us out:
Thanks so much to Robin for bringing over her expertise and the Nuc, and we’re very happy to not be needing it.